Monday, October 26, 2015

What Should I Major In?


What Should I Major In?


This is one of the most common questions asked by new college students every year. What should I major in? Based up which University you attend, you will have many different college majors to choose and pick from. Some students when first attending college really aren't sure 100 percent of a major to major in and that is completely fine. You will have some time to take some Introduction Type of Courses into a few different majors to see which one you like the most.

Things To Consider-


Be sure to not just major in a major that one of your friends is majoring in, because that may not always work out the best for you. Be sure to put some serious thought into declaring a major because this is a big decision in your life. However if you do find out that you find yourself not liking the major that you major in, you can always change it, if you find out that you don't like it soon enough. At most Universities you technically won't have to pick your major until the end of your Sophomore year, so you will have a good bit of time to figure out what you want to do.

When choosing your major there are a few things you should consider.
  • Will I be able to find a job when I graduate?
  • Will I be able to live comfortably financially with this career?
  • How competitive will the job market be for this career?
  • Will I enjoy my job?
  • How many years of school will I need to have for my career?
  • Will I have specific on the job training after I graduate from school?


Double Major/ Major with a Minor-


If you're stuck between two majors that are similar, you may want to Double Major in them. You could also Major in one of the two then you could Minor in the other major. Just be sure to keep in mind that there are many different ways that you could go about it.

Speaking with Your Academic Adviser


It could always be beneficial to set up a meeting with your Academic Adviser, if you are still having issues with picking a major. But remember this isn't always such a bad thing. Just remember when you go through this process, to always keep an open mind to all kinds of different types of majors.



No comments:

Post a Comment